Last Sunday, my parents and grandparents came over for a birthday brunch. It was a great visit, but when they left, I felt old. Ancient, really.
So I did what any logical person would do: got in my sweatpants to watch Beauty in the Beast, drank a mimosa, and panicked. What if there's not enough time? What if I can't cross all of the items off the bucket list? What if some items aren't in the cards for me?
Rationality finally stomped out my über-depressing panic session and I realized that the most fulfilling part of the whole bucket list project is in the simple act of trying. By stepping up to bat on some of these things, I'm defining myself by what I did, not by what I didn't do.
This positive attitude stuck and by this weekend, my age didn't seem to scare me nearly as much. I was invited to a friend's house to play in a Wii "Just Dance" tourney (we had a bracket and everything :)). We ended up at a nearby bar, dancing to live country music, and bringing in 26. It was such a wonderful way to usher in the next year!
Looking back on 25, I was able to cross some items off my list!
- I ate an exotic fruit (post coming soon)
- Learned a martial art (post coming soon)
- Traveled to Thailand (I, II, III, IV)
- Traveled to Cambodia (more posts on the way)
- Traveled to Vietnam (more posts on the way)
- Snow skied and didn't fall down
- Overcame a fear
- Crossed 2 states off my list: Iowa & Washington DC (I'm counting it as a state ;)) and explored more of New Mexico by visiting Carlsbad Caverns and the White Stands
- Caught, cooked, and ate a fish
- Learn more about my grandparents' lives at my grandma's 90th birthday.
- Tried out some new heart-healthy recipes. Stir Fried Chicken with Sugar Snap Peas and Carrots is my favorite from this year.
- Kept in touch with old friends
As per the birthday tradition, I need some new bucket list items and a birthday athem. The birthday anthem is easy. Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" this year. It's my jam.
The new bucket list items are a little harder to choose. After much thought, I've decided that the following should be added to the list:
Get a face full of mist from Iguazu Falls (idea courtesy of a friend at work)
Try paddleborarding (because, why not?)
Go on an African Safari (because I can't believe that this is not already on there)
Launch this blog as my own site. Taking the step over to the dark side...